In 1835 the property was purchased by Pierre Saujon for 90,000 francs, and in 1855 he sold it on to Monsieur and Madame Lacombe for 200,000 francs.
During the second half of the 19th century the estate prospered and achieved great fame under the brief (1858 to 1877) but inspired direction of the Comte de Vassal-Montviel. He enlarged the vineyard, bringing it to its present size—making it one of the largest estates around Saint-Emilion.